Friday, March 6, 2009

Another Birthday....

Yep, my son turned 35 today. I find it hard to believe. This was him, 1974...



And now? He's all grown up and has two kids of his own. *sigh* I somehow feel old...

This afternoon I visited him for a birthday party. He really looks like a happy and proud daddy...



And me a proud grandma....



Shiana made sure he cut the cake properly... in the background is his dad....



My daughter and her girls didn't attend because they all have colds and didn't want to pass on any germs to the baby. But they are now here, visiting me. The girls are already fast asleep. Tomorrow I'll upload some pictures of their visit.

It's been raining non-stop all day... not good for the rescue workers in Cologne. The two missing men have not been found and are probably still under the rubble... all hope is gone for a rescue. Some of the neighboring houses are being torn down before they crash themselves. A school next to the hole will probably also have to be demolished. The rain is making the ground stay dangerously soft. One of the residents was in Australia and saw a picture of his blue cubboard and television on a TV there... his apartment no longer exists. The remaining walls, including the TV and cubboard, have been torn down. All the misplaced residents are now living in hotel rooms and have been given money for compensation. But nothing can replace the loss of belongings, documents, and memorabilia..... not to mention the loss of life. It was only luck that most of the people got out in time....

Dorrie

16 comments:

  1. Aww, Shiana looks SO much older in this picture!
    Tristram is the same age as your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The theme for the party must have been red, huh? lol.Great pictures. Can you imagine seeing your 'open house' on TV from another country? How scary. Also, how sad for the people that are still missing, and all the damage that has been caused. Possible lawsuit? Happy weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful family, Dorrie, I enjoy looking at your photos so much. :)

    I'm so sorry about what happened in Cologne; I hate there there was loss of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Mum. it is obvious you have done a wonderful job and your life is full of so much love in them all. I know what you mean about feeling old, though. Maggs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your son. Wow what great family stuff here. :) awesome. Love the pix, as you know how I love to see them! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great day for Dorrie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your son. Your grandchildren are very precious and sweet. At least you can stand to be in the same room with your ex. Sometimes, I can and sometimes I cannot. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your son, Dorrie!
    How can one not smile when they are holding babies, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such a beauitful family! I'm so looking forward to grandchildren. Have a good time with the girls! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. good morning all! kids are still here, Regina took my car to work and I have hers with the car seats for the girls. I'll drive with them her office soon and we'll all go to McD's for lunch.

    More later... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone said that they would ring me, via Lemon Meringue Pie, was that The TIme I remember so well cuz it was so Recent. My hand was put in thee Bag and I was Sleeved there and was I given to Sexy Behavior, Yes, I am so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday to C! Sorry, I missed the party :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww my son was 29 on the 6th March too!! i am still waiting for grand babies though :-(

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did all of this time go so fast?
    Roz

    ReplyDelete