Sunday, August 15, 2010

Job Perks

Most of you know that my job is aviation related. I used to really enjoy it, but usually not so much anymore (2 more years and I can retired! yay!). But occssionally I have some good days with some nice "perks".... yesterday was such a day.

I visited an air show at a local glider field. It was actually more of an "open house" then air show, but it did have one BIG attraction: a Junkers JU 52 aircraft was available for sight seeing tours. the flights were booked out in no time.

It just so happened, that the captain was an old time friend of mine, and when he asked if I wanted to come along on the reserve seat in the cockpit, I didn't hesitate to say YES!

This picture should give you an impression of this bird's size.....



Some old fashioned equipment....



as well as modern....



We had great weather and the German landscape is quite green after weeks of rain... (that's the Rhine River by-the-way...)




The co-pilot took this picture of me and "Captain Uwe"..



And then it was time to land...



Today we have rain showers so they probably won't be able to have any flights, and of course few people visit air shows when it rains. I feel sorry for the organzers (we have FIVE air shows in my immediate area this weekend).

So I had a fun and interesting day yesterday!

Dorrie

10 comments:

  1. WOW what a blessing that was. Nice perk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that made for a gret day! Glad it turned out so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it WAS a great perk! unfortunately such perks are more and more rare....

    Sunday weather: rain, rain, and more rain! No fun for the air shows. And today the rains continue (bad flooding in parts of Germany)

    my dad will be operated on Tuesday, California time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pix; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure that was a lot of fun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. COOL ! I LIKE THE PIX OF YOU AND UWE ! AND THAT AWESOME VIEW OF THE RHINE RIVER!! THANKS FOR THE TOUR :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pics! I bet you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Waves Hi to Westy !* OOPS, Dorrie :) I thought I was back in JS Land again ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Westy! that's cool! I swear you have thee adventurous life sometimes.Do you ever sit and relax? Hehe..

    ReplyDelete